Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday FA Round-up : Arsenal win, Man City draw, Fulham thump Spurs

An eventful Sunday of FA Cup football saw Fulham take the headlines with a 4-0 demolition of London rivals Tottenham at Craven Cottage.

This game was over by half-time as the Cottagers had raced into a four-goal advantage by the break.

Ex-Spur Danny Murphy scored from the spot 11 minutes in after Alan Hutton barged down Clint Dempsey in the box. Murphy added a second penalty three minutes later after Michael Dawson was sent off for tugging back Moussa Dembele in the box.

Brede Hangeland stabbed home to make it 3-0 before Dembele rifled home a blistering strike just before half-time to seal the impressive win.


Earlier, Edin Dzeko threw Manchester City an FA Cup lifeline after Notts County had come close to winning this 4th round tie.

Neal Bishop's header on the hour threatened to add City's name to the Sunderland scalp County collected in the previous round.

But Dzeko had other ideas and drilled home Micah Richards' low cross 10 minutes from time to break his own City duck, and rescue the Eastlands outfit.


Cesc Fabregas came off the bench to net another late penalty as 10-man Arsenal laboured into the fifth round with a 2-1 win over npower League One Huddersfield at the Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal took the lead when Nicklas Bendtner's angled shot deflected in off Terriers skipper Peter Clarke on 22 minutes before then losing Samir Nasri with a hamstring problem, and having Sebastien Squillaci sent off for blocking Jack Hunt's surging run.

Alan Lee headed a deserved equaliser for the Terriers, but Fabregas won it from the penalty spot after Jamie McCombe pushed Bendtner over with 5 minutes remaining.


Victor Obinna scored a hat-trick as West Ham put their Carling Cup semi-final misery behind them and marched into the fifth round with a 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest in a thrilling encounter at Upton Park.


Robert Huth's late goal earned Stoke a first FA Cup victory over Wolves as they won 1-0 at Molineux.

No comments: