Search This Blog

Friday, September 07, 2007

Wenger signs 3-year deal at Arsenal

Arsene Wenger Arsenal ManagerArsene Wenger has vowed to turn Arsenal's potential into silverware after agreeing a new three-year deal to remain in charge at the North London club.

The terms of the new deal - which will keep Wenger at the Emirates Stadium until 2011 - have not been made public. But it is understood to be worth around £4million a season to the Frenchman, making him one of the highest paid bosses in the Premier League.

Wenger though has said that the issues have never been about money - either for himself or team building.

"I have been entrusted with complete freedom to implement and execute my plans on what will make the team successful," said Wenger. "That means I have a responsibility to the fans to deliver silverware and also a responsibility to the players to help turn our potential into prizes.

"I want to achieve the maximum with this team and it is young and very ambitious as well, and I feel I share that ambition with my team. That is one of the reasons, as well, that I wanted to get a taste of how hungry this team is first before I definitely go for it."

Wenger has aleady won three Premier League titles and four FA Cup triumphs as well as reaching the final of the Champions League in 2006 during his reign at Arsenal.